Friday, February 10, 2012

Teach Me How to Dougie


Ok, so maybe not dougie, but I learned how to “sokkie” Wednesday night at one of the local dance clubs! Marlize and I met up with a friend who has had training in the “art of sokkie-ing” –and it definitely is an art form! Think combination of ballroom and swing set to a faster tempo and traditional Afrikaans music –all while whirling and twirling around everyone else on the dance floor –if you’re inexperienced it’s a disaster waiting to happen! Luckily the two of us fared well enough for beginners (I managed not to knock anyone out…) and it was awesome to watch a championship-winning couple show off their moves on the dance floor.

Here’s a link to get a taste of what sokkie-ing looks like, although you have to imagine the chaos of more people!

Thursday I finally had my first class for HIV/AIDS: The South African Perspective and I was excited to find out that in addition to lectures, discussion and media presentations throughout the semester, we will be working with a number of community organizations, be given a budget, and will design and implement an AIDS preventive program with our community partners. This semester’s courses are definitely giving me a hands-on experience outside of the classroom and not only that but I will be immersed in South African communities for the next five months!!

Today we were back at Lyndoch for a full day of class –the 7-hour block flew by once again and I was in continual awe of the content, discussion and planning we prepared for the semester. (My love for the class was probably also aided by the fact that Grant’s mother made another delicious traditional African meal: bobotie, the national dish of South Africa, which is a delicious mixture of curried meat and fruit with a creamy golden topping…ok ok, it may sound weird, but it was amazing!) My group finally meets our 7th graders on Monday!

Signing off for the week but I’ll leave you with a cliffhanger and promise an exciting post after Sunday….da na na na na na na na

No comments:

Post a Comment