Sunday, February 12, 2012

JAWS: South Africa Style

One of my intentions on this trip was to make a bunch of international friends. So far I’ve been pretty successful getting to know some French, German, Dutch, local South African and other American students. But I thought I should branch out a little.

I have a new friend.

Her name’s Rosie.

She’s 12 feet tall.

She has lots of teeth.

She lives in the Atlantic Ocean.

Yep, that’s right folks…

Mom and Dad, don’t worry. I survived with all my fingers and toes (I’m only supposed to have 9 of each, right?). It was such an incredible experience!!  We were all loaded up into a small fishing boat, which proved to be a bit too small on the rough seas for a lot of us as half of the divers “lost” their breakfast on the way to the anchoring spot (thank goodness for motion sickness pills!).  The fish oils were spread, the seal outline decoy released, and we waited. But not for long! Within minutes we had our first Great White shark sighting as it came over to inspect the boat, followed by 9 more throughout the course of the day.

Check out some of the pics!





Gearing up to go into the cage…


I literally came FACE TO FACE with a shark! The water was so murky from the storm yesterday that it was difficult to see very far in front and we relied on the instructors in the boat for their instructions: “Coming on your left- DIVE” and held our breath and went under. Inches from the bars, Rosie thrashed around, chopping on the bait ball. I was inches away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment