Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Flexibility Isn't Just About Yoga


 For anyone who knows me, I’m not exactly the most flexible person. I never proudly boasted a winning score at the ‘sit and reach’ test in P.E. (in fact it was pretty fortunate I was able to pass at all!). But I like to think that in other ways, I’m pretty flexible and creative in working through various obstacles that come up. As a Public and Community Service major, I thought I’ve had my fair share of experiences dealing with community development projects and the inevitable challenges that arise in the process. That is, until I came to Africa. I’ve come to realize that I’ve had the good fortune of being under close guidance of many of the faculty of the PSP department when it comes to planning and implementing various projects and grants over the past few years. Without this administrative support, however, things can get a bit tricky.

Working in the communities around Stellenbosch, I’ve found that administration processes work a bit differently. It’s definitely been a challenge (and a valuable learning experience!) trying to navigate the right person to get in touch with. My small group working on our community HIV/AIDS prevention project has learned first-hand the need for flexibility and a back-up plan (and in some cases, plans C,D, and E!). Our multiple attempts at finding an individual in the community to invest a sustainable program in has fallen through on multiple occasions throughout the semester. Things were looking up, however, on Thursday when we met with Matthew, a current homeless patient, in the AIDS care clinic in the Kayamandi township. We discussed with him the opportunity to purchase materials to build a temporary shack in the township while he got himself back on his feet and left that day excited about making a direct impact on this man’s life. Over the weekend, however, we received disappointing news that Matthew had to be discharged from the center due to alcohol abuse and threatening staff and other patients. Upon arriving back on Tuesday to continue brainstorming, we found a very persistent Matthew waiting for us; he had set up camp outside the center’s gate, hoping to persuade us to give him a month’s rent. It was disheartening to have to refuse his requests again and again, especially being sensitive to his current situation, but with some counseling from the staff, it was agreed that we would find a more reliable community member to work with.

Within 10 minutes, I found myself sitting on a couch in a small two-room house down the road, surrounded by 15 bright-eyed kids, scrambling to climb into my lap, pull on my rings and try on my sunglasses. I eagerly listened to the homeowner –this woman was starting up a “crèche” or daycare center for families in the community and was in need of a fire extinguisher and first aid kit to become fully certified. She is unable to leave the house to seek employment because she is also responsible for taking care of her husband who has been in and out of surgery, and therefore started this childcare business to support the family. She says she still faces financial difficulty, though, since many of the parents of the children are unemployed and cannot pay for her services; some cannot find employment because they are currently receiving treatment at the clinic. We’ve arranged to return next week to purchase these things with her –things are finally looking up so keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment